Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Baltimore Post game and Dragoncon is a comin.

So Baltimore is over... whew. It was quite a weekend. I am exhausted, yet back at work.

Saturday was... disappointing. Not because I wasn't making money (I'm used to that) but because I didn't get many takers to try Intermezzo. I would tell people about it, they would laugh, maybe say something about how funny it sounded and walk away. To me, the biggest obstacle has always felt like "how do I get people to look at Intermezzo" with the feeling being that people will give it a try if they hear about it and see how funny it is. But the question staring me in the face at the end of the day "What if intermezzo just isn't good enough?"

Bless Stacy for being the poor soul to talk me off the artistic ledge. She let me vent enough so that Sunday I wasn't the bitter, scary dude behind the table. So Sunday went well, one of the better days I've had. I almost made my table cost back (which would have meant i only would have lost my hotel room $, dare to dream). But anyone who goes into this for the money is either insane or just stepped out of a time machine from 1995.

I don't think my funk on Saturday night was an overreaction though. I really needed to rethink how I approach this. I had some ideas to try and minimize how much i am spending, where i need to focus my finances, and how i can accomplish some modest goals without spending all of our savings (mine and Wendy's together, because if it were just me I would have been bankrupt at least once by now. With Wendy in the picture, I have more to lose and too much at stake to throw it into this without considering the consequences.)

While i sat behind the table and the evil voices took over and ran my mind for the better part of a day I decided to sketch. It is considerably different than anything i have drawn in many years. It is a different part of me entirely, and not anyone you will see in Intermezzo. I am not able to post it (for reasons that are beyond me).

Anyway, Dragoncon is this weekend. I am not set up at a table because i have seen many bigger names than I (and who isn't?) sitting with no one coming up to them, looking bored, and set up in a basement somewhere. It is not a good choice for me to spend the money to do that.

But at Dragoncon this year will be STAN LEE. So I am going, I am going to get a picture, and an autograph and probably say something stupid to the man. But this is my one chance to do that, and any comic geek worth his geek would jump at the chance to do the same. Anyone who tells you different is lying through their teeth. This man is crucial is creating some of the biggest characters in comic book history. those characters are still around today because they speak to people on a deep level.

No comments:

Post a Comment